Baking Accessories and Cake DecoratingWhat do you need to bake a cake?
Whether its for a special occasion or you just want to make something to satisfy your sweet tooth, you might enjoy baking goodies. Baking is easy if you have everything you need. To bake a cake, you will need the following:
- Ingredients like dough, butter, etc.
- Mixing bowl
- Oven mitt
- Kitchen timer
- Circular or square pan
If youre making cupcakes instead, youll need all of the ingredients above. But, instead of a square or circle pan, youll need a cupcake pan.What cooking accessories are needed to bake homemade cookies?
If you havent baked before, you might not realize how different it is from other types of cooking. If youre gathering accessories to make a dozen chocolate chips, youll need the following tools:
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutter
- Pastry tools
- Oven tray
Baking utensils, also known as bakeware, that can be used in the oven should be safe for food and made with non-melting materials. A general rule is if you can use it on the stovetop of an oven, it should be safe to use in the oven. The only exception to the rule is if the handle of a utensil is made of a different material. Several oven-safe materials are:
- Metal - Metal tools must be made of non-reactive metals such as stainless steel. If the dishes and tools are not made of non-reactive metals, its imperative that the metal pan is properly coated.
- Ceramic - Its important to be careful with any glazed ceramic baking tools. Before using an unglazed ceramic piece in the oven, its important to make sure its safe for use in an oven.
- Glass - Most glass baking tools are safe for use in an oven. But, you must be careful not to subject glass dishes to temperature shocks. If youre unsure whether a glass dish is safe to use in the oven, you can check to see if the manufacturer deemed it oven-safe.
- Silicone - Food-grade silicone baking dishes and tools are nearly indestructible.
If youre interested in using frosting to personalize your creations, youll need pastry tools including a scraper, cutter, and cookie scoop. These items are used to write on baked goods, add embellishments or other interesting details that can personalize an ordinary chocolate cake with frosting. Accessories used to decorate goodies can be purchased as one-time use or more permanent options that can be reused over and over.