Contact Lens Care Solutions
Contact lens care solutions are sterile liquids with specially formulated chemicals used to rinse and disinfect contact lenses. Lens solutions are an important component of eye care protocol for contact lens wearers. Also used for lens storage, solutions gently yet effectively remove buildup that may have formed on contact lenses in order to keep eyes healthy and infection-free.Why is it important to use contact lens solutions?
Contact lenses are medical devices for your eyes. Using contact lens solutions as recommended ensures that your eyes and vision stay problem-free. It is important use solutions to keep lenses disinfected because infectious organisms like bacteria and viruses can build up on the surface of all contact lenses. Keeping lenses clean is also a must as dust, dirt, and mucous can build up. Aside from cleaning and disinfecting, the contact solution rinses and lubricates the lenses, which prepares them to be worn again. Make sure that bottle tips do not touch any surfaces as they may become contaminated that way. Its also important to never use cleaning solutions that are past their expiration date. Using contact lens solution to care for your contact lenses can help ensure that your lenses and eyes remain at their optimum level of performance and cleanliness.What are the contents of contact lens solutions?
Most contact lens solutions contain three kinds of ingredients: surfactants, disinfectants, and anti-bacterial agents.
- Disinfectant: The presence of hydrogen peroxide in solutions is what sterilizes lenses by killing bacteria and fungi.
- Surfactant: This is a mild abrasive detergent that is able to clean any debris buildup on lenses without scratching them.
- Anti-bacterial: Boric acid, ascorbic acid, and edetate disodium are sterilizers and preservatives used to prevent microorganism growth.
Use cleaning products that have been recommended by your eye doctor. You should not change eye care regimens without first consulting your eye doctor.
Here are the basics of contact lens care:
- The first thing to do is wash your hands. Avoid soaps with moisturizer as they are not suitable for contact lenses. Use lint-free towels to wipe hands.
- Remove one lens and clean it with the recommended product. Even if using a "no-rub" product, the FDA suggests that you gently rub the lens in the palm of your hand with some drops of product.
- Rinse the lens once more to remove loosened debris buildup.
- Place and store the lens in a clean lens holder and fill with fresh multipurpose solution.
- Repeat the process with your other lens.