Deciding on the Right Night Vision Binoculars or Monoculars
Looking at objects far away, especially at nighttime, is much easier with a pair of night vision binoculars or a night vision monocular. Their technology differs from that of a traditional pair of binoculars or a monocular. Well-known brands, such as Nikon, offer night vision binoculars as part of their range.
What Are Night Vision Monoculars?
Monoculars are essentially miniature, portable compact telescopes. The addition of night vision qualities allows people to use them in the absence of daylight. People often use night vision monoculars during hunting, hiking, exploring, and military exercises.
- People often use them in situations where size and weight is an issue, like hiking. Their compact nature allows them to take up a minimum amount of space while still allowing night vision view magnification.
- They function much the same as a pair of binoculars, however, they only have the single view, much like a telescope. The image they produce is somewhat two dimensional as opposed to three dimensional like a pair of binoculars.
- Many well-known technology brands, such as Nikon, produce night vision monoculars in waterproof materials for practical use. It is also possible to purchase waterproof carry bags for them while out in nature hiking or hunting.
What Are Night Vision Monoculars and Night Vision Binoculars as Opposed to Standard Binoculars?
Night vision binoculars offer the same magnification as a traditional pair of binoculars; however, with the added technology of night vision. This is ideal for those who are traveling at night in very dark locations with little natural light, hunting, or performing other exercises.
- Night vision binoculars utilize intensifiers. These intensifiers take light that isn't visible to the naked human eye and magnify it over and over again. Amplifying it this many times allows one to clearly see images at night or in dark spaces without the need for light.
- There are multiple generations of night vision. Generation one of night vision amplifies the light 300 to 900 times, while a pair of generation two night vision binoculars amplify the light 20,000 to 30,000 times. Generation two night vision binoculars are clearer and sharper than a pair of generation one binoculars. The generation one binoculars and monoculars are still well liked and practical for hunters and travelers.
- People often use night vision binoculars while hunting or nature watching, meaning they need both hands. Head mounts make the ideal accessory, allowing people to use the device while busy moving or carrying other equipment instead of needing to stabilize and carry the binoculars.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nikon.