What to Know Before You Buy Your Windows 98 Computer
Are you looking to buy a dependable, old Windows computer that is still affordable? The user-friendly eBay website is sure to have the right Windows 98 computer for sale. In addition to your Windows 98 price, here are some other things to know before buying your computer.
Can a Windows 98 computer be upgraded to other systems?
Windows 98 was released in 1998 to succeed Windows 95. Windows Second Edition (SE) was released in 1999, followed by Windows ME. Ordinarily, a Windows 98 computer would have been upgraded to Windows SE, Windows ME, or Windows 2000. The option to upgrade the operating system may be less viable at this point because Windows 98 is an older operating system. This does not mean, however, that specific components within the system cannot be upgraded. The following list summarizes the Windows 98 features that can be replaced with newer versions:
- Internet Explorer: It can be replaced with either a newer version of Explorer or Outlook Express.
- Windows Messenger: It can be upgraded to a newer version of Messenger, usually 7.0.
- Windows Media Player: It can be upgraded to Windows Media Player 9.0 on Windows ME and Windows SE.
- Microsoft Office: It can be upgraded to Office XP.
- Other components: It can add support for DirectX, Microsoft .NET Framework, Unicode, Active Sync, and Remote Desktop Connection by installing additional software and service updates.
What is usually pre-installed on Windows 98 computers?
Most Windows 98 computers that are still found on the market will have either Windows 98 or Windows SE installed. Some desktop computers may have dual operating systems, typically Windows 98 running alongside either Windows 95 or Windows XP.
What are the specifications of Windows 98 computers?
The Windows 98 PC will usually be running Windows 98 SE, but it may also come with Windows 98 Home Edition. These vintage computers are often equipped with floppy disk drives, and the gaming computers may be equipped with additional hardware, such as speakers and enhanced graphics cards. Some also have a dual boot operating system that consists of Windows 98 and Windows XP or Windows 95 and Windows 98. The following list summarizes additional features that may be part of a Windows 98 computer:
- PCI Legacy Slots: This serves to connect older peripherals.
- Processor: Speeds range from 600 MHz to 3.4 GHz.
- Memory: Typical configuration is 256MB RAM and 6GB disk.
- Disk Drive: It may contain a floppy disk drive or a CD-R drive. Optical drives on these computers are typically read-only.
What games are available on Windows 98?
Microsoft Windows 98 included some games that have become cult classics. These titles include:
- Microsoft Solitaire: A classic card game that became a staple on Windows operating systems.
- Minesweeper: Another iconic Windows game, challenging players to uncover tiles on a grid without revealing hidden mines.
- Age of Empires: A real-time strategy game that allows players to build civilizations, manage resources, and engage in epic battles.
- SimCity 3000: A city-building simulation game where players can design and manage their own virtual cities.
- Half-Life: A groundbreaking first-person shooter that gained widespread acclaim for its immersive storytelling and innovative gameplay.